La Tomatina | Tomato Festival Spain | Spanish Tomato Culturetweet
La Tomatina is popularly known as Tomato Festival. Every one of us has heard about this Spain’s unique festival which is being celebrated in Spain every year. It is similar to India’s festival of colors “Holi”. The only difference between “La Tomatina” and “Holi” is, as name indicates Tomatino is celebrated with lots of tomatoes and water rather colors. Because of the uniqueness and its simplicity Latomatina is getting popular day by day all across the world.
What is La Tomatina?
It’s a Spanish festival, celebrated in Valencian town of Bunyol in Spain. In this festival people use to throw tomatoes and water on each other. It is truly an amazing experience to get involved in Tomato Fight with others whether you know the other person or not. People use to travel now from different parts of the globe to experience the excitement all around during this special occasion. It is an eco friendly chaotic event when people throw tomatoes to each other and make every one look similar irrespective of their religion, nationality.
When is La Tomatina Festival this year?
Tomatino festival is celebrated every year on last Wednesday of the month of August. There is sequence of events associated with La Tomatina. Because of its cultural values, Tomato festival is attracting lot many International visitors every year to Spain. As per the current estimation, approx 40,000 -60,000 visitors are now participating in this festival every year.
History behind La Tomatina and interesting facts:
La Tomatina was started off in the year 1945, from then on-wards this festival is being celebrated except few years in early fifties.
There are tons of tomatoes used for this festivity – approximately 50 metric tons or 1.5 to 2 lac tomatoes are being used every year for the fight.
Tomatoes Tomatoes and Tomatoes – La-Tomatina Activity:
-Series of festival events start off at morning 10 am called as “Palo Jabon”, in this activity one is to climb up on a greased pole with hem on the top. During this activity, crowd is getting filled with wild excitement and people act as dancing and singing under water canals showers.
– This excitement continues till someone is able to drop the hem off the pole, once it happens official announcement of Tomatina is indicated by firing shot in the sky and trucks make their entry in to the crowd.
– At sharp 11 am, second activity begins by firing a shot and Tomato Fight begins.
– Just after 1 hour the tomato fight ends by firing the second shot in the sky.
Rules to participate in Tomato festival:
There are certain rules to be followed while participating in this fest:
– Participants must be using goggles and gloves for protection.
– Before throwing the tomatoes on others, participants must have to crush it well to avoid the risk of injury.
– All the participants to allow and offer path to Lorries and trucks carrying tomatoes.
– Participants to follow the guidelines to understand when to start off and when to stop the fighting.
– Participants are not allowed ripping off their clothes.
There are special packages available to attend this world class festivity. One has to make their plan well in advance to attend this crazy event. There are special transportation arrangements by the Government on this day to make your experience remarkable.
It’s a life time experience and you must have to feel it at least once in your life. Happy La-Tomatina !